The Caribbean Diaspora just got an added sweet treat in the heart of Lauderhill dedicated to our vibrant spirit and culture. Fresco y Mas (formally Winn Dixie) is now open for patrons to enjoy and relish in the tastes of their island homelands. Curated with the diaspora in mind, the one a kind store will give patrons access to some of the distinct foods, fruits and spices used to create the classic Caribbean dishes many has come to know and love.
I had the opportunity to join the Fresco y Mas team for the launch last week as their social media ambassador, giving guests a first hand look at the variety of offerings. From live cooking demonstrations and food tastings by popular South Florida Chef Chad Cherry to a live performance by Live Luna Band and carnival style dancers all present for the ribbon cutting, Fresco y Mas made quite an impression with the locals for its inaugural Caribbean store launch.
As I toured the store sharing via my social media channels, I was pleasantly surprised by a few custom details that I know you will appreciate and want to make sure to keep in mind the next time you visit. Here are a few:
- The fruit section is abundant and colorful: You won’t have to look far for classic ingredients like ackee, saltfish, Grace Food spices, jerk seasoning, curry, Haitian Madame Gougousse rice, oxtail, traditional fruit like tamarind, breadfruit mango and more.
- The aisles are wide and vast with various brands sprinkled throughout the store so you can feel good about having options to complete your dishes.
- The Bakery: stocked with rum and fruit cakes and flan – its definitely the sweetest part of the store. (see my stories for more)
- The Hot Food Section: this is a game changer. You can stop in for lunch and pick up everything from roast pork, curry chicken, black beans and rice, jerk wings and more!
- The Café: stocked with island classics like croquetas, beef patties, cocoa bread, pastries and more.
- Whether your making a classic Trinidadian Pelau or Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken with Rice and Peas, Fresco is your one stop shop to grab it all.
So what are you waiting for? If you’re in the Lauderhill area of Broward County, stop by the new Fresco y Mas and give it a try. The address: 1531 NW 40th Ave. Lauderhill, FL 33313
Be sure to follow the brand on social @frescoymas for offers, live events and giveaways too!
Written by Vanessa James.
Disclaimer: I was hired by Fresco y Mas to cover the launch of their Caribbean flagship store.
All opinions are my own.